1) Repeat your infant’s vocalisations.
2) Make fun noises or nonsense words.
3) Say words in different ways (fast, slowly, high, low, using a funny voice).
4) ‘Sing’ known songs using only sounds, for example, ‘la, la, la’, and ask your child to guess the song.
5) Vary your tempo and pitch when reading stories.
6) Make different voices for characters when reading stories.
7) Read or tell sound stories. Your local library or bookshop will be able to point out some very good books that encourage sound-making as you read the story. This is huge fun and can involve all the family.